Thursday, February 5, 2009

Ex-boyfriends = campaign cash


Freshman Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.) received rave reviews for her speech at last night’s Washington Press Club Foundation dinner. Some of my favorite lines:

I bring you greetings from the state of Minnesota where in the words of our unofficial poet laureate Garrison Keillor, all the women are strong, all the men are good looking, and all the recounts are above average.
....

So I'm up here telling the jokes and Al Franken is going to be the senator. What's wrong with that picture?
....

I set an all-time US Senate record, and this is true, I raised $17,000 from ex-boyfriends. Speaker Pelosi, I may have the all-time record in the Senate, but I know in the House, that record is held by Barney Frank.

As my husband, points out, for me, ex boyfriends aren't an expanding base.
....

Now it is double pressure for me because tomorrow morning I'm speaking at the National Prayer Breakfast. My plan is to offer thanks to the Almighty supreme being who at any moment can unleash his wrath on those who don't follow his commandments. I know half of you think I am talking about Rahm Emanuel. The truth is this event was always trickier for me than the National Prayer Breakfast because as you know, God forgives and reporters don't.
....

This room has the greatest, the most thorough, the most hard working, most brilliant reporters in the world, all of whom were scooped on the John Edwards story by the National Enquirer.
....

Now we have a new president. And he's our first wired president. He is never without his Blackberry. Although like many Americans I look forward to a colorblind society when we can just call it a Berry.
....

Now we have John Roberts - we'll remember the moment forever, administering the oath. When he was reading the words, as many of you remember, he messed up the word faithfully. Somewhere, Eliot Spitzer and Vito Fossella are saying "Join the Club."

Let's hear for a little sass from an elected women! For the full transcript, click here. It's worth it.

No comments: